THE CITY Water DistributionSystems Operator I- Salary Range
$2,802.00 - $3,406.00 Monthly
Water DistributionSystems Operator II- Salary Range
$3,170.00 - $3,854.00 Monthly
The City of Hemet, tucked in a valley surrounded by the Santa Rosa Hills and the San Jacinto Mountains, is embarking on a journey of revitalization and growth. The City of Hemet seeks an extraordinary individual who is pursuing a rewarding and challenging career opportunity.
Hemet is ideallylocated in western Riverside County in the beautiful San Jacinto Valley. Orange County and San Diego are just an hour away, and the beauty of the desert spa lifestyle of Palm Springs is yours within 45 minutes.THE POSITION:
Under general supervision, applicants perform and learn to perform the full array of duties assigned to classes in the Water Distribution Systems Operator series, including skilled and semi-skilled work on the City's water system. Applicants assist other Public Works maintenance units when assigned, and demonstrate a full understanding of all applicable policies, procedures and work methods associated with assigned duties. Applicants will perform other related duties as required.
This is an outstanding opportunity for an energetic and experienced professional. The ideal candidate will be detailed oriented, committed to best practices, and ready to join a dynamic, professional team committed to providing excellent customer services. NOTE: This recruitment is being conducted to fill one (1) current vacancy, one (1) upcoming vacancy, and to establish an eligibility list for a one year period. Summary Description Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Performs maintenance, repair, construction and installation work in the City's water facilities and system; inspects assigned areas and corrects and/or reports safety hazards.
- Performs skilled tasks in the installation, maintenance and repair of the City's water systems; installs new water mains and residential and commercial service lines; shuts down mains and water services to make repairs; maintains, repairs and replaces water lines, hydrants, valves, backflow devices and meters; flushes hydrants and mains; performs maintenance and repair at well sites.
- Operates cleaning equipment, including vactors and jet trucks; locates and marks mains and laterals; conducts leak detection and location tests; assists in the update of the water/sewer atlas; cleans and maintains storm drains; flushes, paints and services fire hydrants; installs hydrant location reflectors in roadways.
- Assists other Public Works maintenance units when required; performs traffic control; assists in the installation and repair of sewer lines; operates dump trucks, service trucks, vactors, jet trucks, backhoes, boom trucks and other light and heavy duty maintenance and construction equipment as assigned; maintains and cleans assigned vehicles and equipment; operates a variety of hand and power tools; inspects tools and equipment for safety and mechanical defects; assists with City sponsored functions; works with a variety of outside contractors; responds to emergency call-outs as assigned.
- Demonstrates a full understanding of applicable policies, procedures and work methods associated with assigned duties; may assist in the training of less experienced staff; responds to questions and concerns from the general public; provides customer services and information as is appropriate and resolves public service complaints.
- Establishes positive working relationships with representatives of community organizations, state/local agencies, City management and staff, and the public.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Knowledge ofPractices, techniques and materials used in maintenance, construction, mechanics and repair of water systems.
- Knowledge ofoperational and maintenance characteristics of standard construction and maintenance tools and equipment.
- Knowledge ofsafety standard requirements and practices for operation of trucks and other equipment.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques for scheduling work assignments and record keeping.
- Skill in safely and effectively operating a variety of maintenance equipment, tools and materials.
- Ability to perform maintenance, repair and installation of water systems.
- Ability tooperate a variety of tools and equipment used in maintenance and construction of the City's water system.
- Ability tooperate hand and power tools competently and safely.
- Ability toperform heavy physical labor for extended periods of time.
- Ability torespond to issues and concerns from the community, maintain appropriate certificates and licenses.
- Ability towork independently and as part of a team, demonstrate good customer service, follow written and oral directions.
- Ability to respond to emergency call-outs as assigned.
- Operator I:One year of experience in domestic water systems and a high school diploma or equivalent.
Certification/License and/or Other Special Requirements:
- Operator II:In addition to the above, two years of experience in water systems equivalent to that of a Water Distribution Systems Operator I with the City of Hemet, and a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Operator I:Possession of a Class C California driver's license is required. Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate level California driver's license (Class A w/tank endorsement or Class B w/tank endorsement) within six (6) months of appointment is required. Possession of a Grade I Water Distribution certificate issued by the Department of Health Services.
Note: A BackflowPrevention Assembly General Tester certification through the American Water Works Association and/or a Riverside County BackflowPrevention Device Tester certification is highly desirable but not required. Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- Operator II: Possession of an appropriate level California driver's license (Class A w/tank endorsement, and possession of a Grade II Water Distribution certificate issued by the Department of Health Services.
Position requires sitting, standing, walking on level and slippery surfaces, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, stooping, squatting, crouching, grasping, and making repetitive hand movement in the performance of daily duties. The position also requires both near and far vision when inspecting work and operating assigned equipment. The need to lift, carry and push tools, equipment and supplies weighing 25 pounds or more is also required. Additionally, the incumbent in this outdoor position works in all weather conditions, including wet, hot and cold. The incumbent may use chemicals and lubricants, which may expose the employee to fumes, dust and air contaminants. The incumbent may also be exposed to mechanical, electrical and biological hazards. The nature of the work also requires the incumbent to climb ladders, work at heights over 10 feet, work in confined spaces; use power and noise producing tools and equipment, drive motorized vehicles and heavy equipment, and work in heavy vehicle traffic conditions. The incumbent may be required to respond to after-hours emergency call-outs.NOTE:To review the complete job description please click on the link below:
The City of Hemet does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, ancestry, generic information, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, status as a veteran, handicapped status in employment or the provision of services. The City is in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and will make all reasonable accommodations for the disabled to participate in employment, programs and facilities. Any person with a disability will receive reasonable accommodations. Notify the Human Resources Department regarding the type of accommodations needed withinthree days
following the closing date. In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, the City of Hemet requiresall new
employees to show proof of their legal right to work in the United States. At the time of hire, the new employee must presentoriginal documentation
to establish bothwork authorization
.The City of Hemet promotes a smoke, drug, and alcohol free working environment for their employees. The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice. The City reserves the right to rate applicants based on a review of the application materials and to invite only the most qualified applicants to participate in the selection process.