Salary: $130,000 Annually
Apply By: May 30, 2019
Public Works Director - Peoria, Illinois (pop. 112,883) seeks progressive administrator to lead the Department of Public Works (91 FTE) providing service to an established, diverse, full service city, located in the heart of the Midwest. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Business Administration, Public Administration, Civil Engineering, construction management or a related field; a related advanced degree and Professional Engineer (P.E.) certification are desirable. A minimum of 10 years of management level experience in public works administration is required. Strong interpersonal leadership, long-range planning, motivational and administrative skills required. Open, accessible, participatory management style with excellent communication skills essential. Appointed by City Manager. Salary is $130,000 +/- DOQ, with excellent benefits. City residency is required within one year of appointment. Additional information regarding the position can be found at http://www.peoriagov.org/internal-applications/. Position is open until filled with an initial screening date of Friday, April 5, 2019. Candidates should attach a résumé, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references with their application.
- Plans, directs, and coordinates the administrative and technical programs involved in the design, construction, maintenance, operation and management of public works projects, including: streets, sidewalks, drainage structures, wastewater treatment, buildings and grounds, traffic control, street lighting, fleet, landfill and solid waste collection programs.
- Develops the organizational structure, including the lines of authority, responsibility and communications for the department to execute policy and achieve the goals of the City; carries out supervisory responsibility in accordance with policies, procedures and applicable laws including: interviewing, hiring and training, planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Plans long-range goals, objectives, organizational structure, and overall direction for the department.
- Plans and implements short-term or annual goals, objectives, and strategies for the department, project, or program to ensure efficient organization and completion of work.
- Plans, in conjunction with staff, stakeholders and consultants, the design and construction of Public Works projects; and implementation of a multi-year capital investment planning process.
- Prepare, administer, and implement annual department budget and exercise control over expenditures of budget and funds; develop and administer Capital Improvements Program and budget in cooperation with other City departments.
- Prepare and submit reports as required to the City Manager regarding department activities; attend conferences and meetings to keep abreast of current trends in the field.
The next Public Works Director for the City of Peoria can expect to be involved in handling the following:
- Effective and efficient implementation of the City’s capital improvement planning process through coordination of City staff, stakeholders, and consultants
- Continued implementation of the Stormwater Utility program adopted by the City Council in 2018.
- Assuming a role in the settlement with the IEPA and USEPA on the City's plan for implementation of long-term solutions to combined sewer overflows.
- Planning and implementation of the proposed CSO solution that utilizes green stormwater infrastructure (GSI) throughout the combined sewer areas.
- Leading a diverse, multi-disciplinary workforce during times of resource limitations.
- Developing a comprehensive roadway and street improvement program.
- Effective oversight of the outsourced solid waste collection contract and leadership of the City staff with the City County Landfill.
- Continue to use cost benefit analysis methodology to determine drawbacks and/or benefits of in-house work versus contracting out services.
- Oversee implementation of recommendations, as agreed upon by the City Council and City management, regarding measures to improve city services.
- Increase the use of technology and Geographic Information System (GIS) to begin the more
efficient management of assets like street signs, sidewalks and pavements.
- Ensure coordination of activities between Public Works Department and other City departments by strengthening the development of communications between these functions.
- Continue to develop a positive regional perspective in the relationship between the City of Peoria and other local government entities.
- Be proactive in pushing projects to the "finish line".
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Business Administration, Public Administration, Civil Engineering, construction management or a related field; a related advanced degree and Professional Engineer (P.E.) certification are desirable.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of public works, including the technical aspects of the various programs associated with the Public Works Department.
- Extensive professional and managerial experience in public works administration, preferably in a comparably sized community.
- Ability to administer the department budget consisting of a variety of complex and diverse public works activities.
- Knowledge of construction plans and drawings, construction contract administration and estimating of cost of construction work.
- Proven superior communication, interpersonal, and human relations skills; adeptness at interacting with people possessing a wide variety of attitudes and in a wide variety of situations.
- Well-versed in personnel management and general supervisory/managerial practices, principles, and techniques, including the supervision of unionized employees.
- Ability to analyze and recommend solutions to complex public works problems.
- Proven track record of leading and delegating to a competent staff and fostering an attitude of teamwork and creativity in problem solving, while ultimately being accountable for the quality and effectiveness of overall departmental performance.
- Ability to manage key issues, initiatives and projects using a cross-functional approach; must have a complete understanding of the nature of cross-functional issues and initiatives in an organizational setting and the ramifications that department actions have on other departments within the organization.
- Ability to conduct studies, write in-depth reports, and translate technical information into layman's terms.
- Have experience in plan review of proposed development projects; assess their impact on the City of Peoria; and ensure that all City requirements for compliance are met.
- Have proven experience in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities in a team-oriented environment.
Management Style/Personal Traits
- Demonstrated ability to articulate a vision consistent with the City's Strategic Plan, Operating Budget, and Capital Improvement Plan and translate that into action.
- Demonstrated team-oriented, and participatory/collaborative style of leadership.
- Exhibit a style characterized by candor, directness, tactfulness, and diplomacy, with the ability to build consensus and find common ground for discussions, agreements, and partnerships.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and develop creative, innovative solutions to issues and problems.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering the professional growth and development of staff.
- Demonstrated commitment to encouraging creativity, responsibility and accountability in an environment that values a collaborative approach and embraces a setting where employees feel valued.
- Demonstrated flexible, adaptable and facilitative style with the ability to function effectively in a dynamic, demanding, team-oriented, professional environment marked by high expectation levels.
- Successfully model the leadership philosophy and core values of the organization.
- Demonstrated self-directed achiever with the ability to conceive and carry out effective strategies for implementing broad policy and goal directives as communicated by policy makers.
- Demonstrated commitment to the regular pursuit of professional and self-development opportunities.
- Demonstrated understanding and awareness of the political climate in which policy decisions are made.
- Be an effective delegator, allowing latitude to staff to carry out their responsibilities independently while remaining knowledgeable and accountable.
- Have a team management orientation and the ability to work closely with relevant Peoria City departments, as well as other governmental agencies and Department employees in an effective, harmonious manner.
- Be “easily accessible” and approachable as a manager.
- Have complete personal and professional integrity, inspiring the confidence of appointed and elected officials, subordinates, and the general public.
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.
The City of Peoria is pleased to announce the recruitment and selection process for the City of Peoria, Illinois Public Works Director. This profile provides background information on Peoria, Illinois and the Public Works Department. Please apply via our online application system at http://www.peoriagov.org/internal-applications/.
The City of Peoria is seeking proven and progressive Candidates committed to excellence in the field of public works. The following factors of education, experience, leadership and management style, and personal and professional traits have been identified as necessary and/or desirable for the Public Works Director to succeed in this position. The salary for the position is $130,000 +/- DOQ with excellent benefits. City residency within one year of appointment is required.