Distinguishing Features of the Class
A 7 Month Laborer in the Facilities and Maintenance Division will perform various laboring duties with current Facilities employees for all Municipal Buildings including pools and parks facilities. This position will be under immediate supervision, to perform routine manual laboring work involving construction, maintenance, and repair activities; and to do related work as required. Acceptable Experience and Training
Requires any combination equivalent to the completion of eighth grade. Required Special Qualifications
Requires satisfactory criminal, sex offender and driving record background checks. Passing a pre-employment physical and drug screen is required prior to employment.
ONLY U.S. CITIZENS AND LEGAL ALIENS ARE ELIGIBLE FOR HIRE. AA/EOE. Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
- Provides manual assistance to semi-skilled and skilled workers.
- Uses assorted hand tools including saw, hammer, ax, chisel in maintenance activities.
- Makes minor repairs.
- Loads and unloads materials, equipment, and supplies.
- Occasionally operates pneumatic power tools, trucks, root cutting machine and other equipment of comparable difficulty.
- Uses pick and shovel to dig, grade, clear ditches and backfill ditches, manholes, vaults, excavations for foundations.
- Removes broken concrete and prepares sidewalks, curbs, and streets for minor repairs.
- Shovels, spreads, and tamps asphalt.
- Assists in setting concrete forms.
- Cuts, hoes, and rakes weeds and brush.
- Cleans streets, sewers and storm drains.
- Operates valves on spray or distributing equipment.
- Participates in sanding, snow removal and flood control work.
- Mixes concrete.
- Digs fence post holes.
- Installs barricades and lanterns.
Closing Date/Time: 4/22/2019 5:00 PM Central