Description Note: This recruitment schedule was amended on June 25, 2019 to extend the Final Filing Date. This recruitment has been changed to "Continuous
At San Mateo Medical Center, we are always seeking ways to enhance the already impressive services we offer.This dedication to excellence is reflected in the exceptional care we provide and the extraordinary professionals who provide it.Here, you'll have the chance to develop your talents with a skilled team of people who actively support and encourage each other's success.If you're ready to open new doors for your career, join us today!
We are seeking qualified and experienced RegisteredNurses to work in our Medical-Surgical unit. We are currently looking to fill two (1.0 FTE) full-time, two (0.8 FTE & 0.5 FTE) part-time, and a variety of Relief, Medical-Surgical nurse positions.
A typical shift duration is8-hours.
Under direction, the incumbent will perform varied professional nursing duties with primary emphasis on professional nursing care for hospital or patients; treat and educate patients, their families and the public about various medical conditions; record medical histories and symptoms; perform diagnostic tests and analyze results; operate medical machinery; administer treatment and medications; assist with patient follow-up and rehabilitation; and perform other duties as assigned and required by assigned clinical setting. The incumbent will be responsible for the care of general medical-surgical patients, such as Telemetry, Oncology, and Pediatric patients.
is fully competent to independently perform a full range of professional nursing duties and procedures that require the exercise of a high degree of clinical judgment. The ideal candidate will also maintain productive interpersonal relationships including nurse-nurse relationships and physician-nurse relationships. Additionally, they will provide care to patients after illness, injury or surgery or with acute health conditions. The incumbent will also attend to those who are being treated with pharmaceuticals (medications) to manage illness. Fluency in Spanish is preferred, but not required. Chemotherapy Certification is preferred and recent acute inpatient medical surgical experience for greater than 1 year is also preferred.NOTE:The eligible listgenerated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified,and regular classifiedvacancies.Extra-help / relief assignments are at-will and the employee is paid on an hourly basis. Some extra help / relief positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra-help / relief workers are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the extra-help / relief assignment.
Examples Of Duties Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Complete patient assessments and triage; record patient histories, symptoms and observations.
- Establish and implement nursing care plans for each patient through assessment, development, activation and evaluation.
- Participate in patient case conferences and rounds.
- Organize, assign and supervise duties and responsibilities of other staff members as a team leader; orient and teach new staff members of the nursing team and students.
- Perform nursing care following prescribed rules, policies, protocol and procedures.
- Identify problems, assist in data gathering, propose solutions and participate in evaluation of quality assurance issues.
- Work with patients and their families to provide in-hospital and after-hospital follow-up through teaching and referral.
- Participate in educational programs to maintain level of expertise.
- Participate in non-clinical assignments, which may include maintaining records, preparing reports and/or serving on special committees.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Operate a variety of medical machinery and equipment.
- Administer treatment and medications.
- Maintain knowledge of outpatient resources.
- Develop discharge plans for patients.
- Perform related duties as assigned and as required by assigned work setting, as described below.
- Provide care to patients after illness, injury or surgery or with acute health conditions or patients who are being treated with pharmaceuticals.
- Record, assess and observe patient progress, reactions and symptoms.
- Assesses needs of patient and develop plan of care based on assessment.
- Check vital signs, give injections and perform catheterizationsand Point of Care Testing.
- Coordinate referrals and interagency communication.
- Manage pain.
- Monitor patients in restraint and seclusion and maintain patient safety.
- Determine medical or psychiatric emergency need and provide intervention.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Possession of a California license as a Registered Nurse or equivalent.
- Possession and maintenance of BLS certification.
- Possession and maintenance ofACLScertification.
- Possession and maintenance of Oncology Nursing certification within three months of hire.
- Nurse Practice Act.
- Current nursing and related medical theory and skills necessary to administer nursing care within assigned clinical setting.
- Safety and infection control practices.
- Clinical systems, supplies and equipment.
- Nurse Practice Act.
- Perform nursing procedures required for assigned clinical setting.
- Comply with clinical procedures and policies.
- Maintain professional nurse-patient relationships.
- Communicate with and educate patients, families, and the public who come from a diverse background.
- Work harmoniously with other personnel.
- Follow safety practices.
- Assist in the instruction of other nursing and paraprofessional personnel.
- Bend, kneel and squat as needed.
- Occasionally use upper extremities to exert force to push and pull patients/objects weighing up to 50 pounds or more.
- Work in a busy environment.
Application/Examination Anyone may apply.
CurrentCounty of San MateoandCounty of San MateoSuperior Court of Californiaemployees with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help/term position prior to the final filing date will receive five points added to their final passing score on this examination.
A supplemental application form must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume or CV will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
The examination process will consist of an application screening (pass/fail) based on the candidates' application and responses to the supplemental questions. Candidates who pass the application screening will be invited to a panel interview (weight: 100%). Depending on the number of applicants, an application appraisal of education and experience may be used in place of other examinations or further evaluation of work experience may be conducted to group applicants by level of qualification. All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. All examinations will be given in San Mateo County, California, and applicants must participate at their own expense.IMPORTANT: Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply
" button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to https://jobs.smcgov.org
to apply.Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date. TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE
Final Filing Date: Continuous
This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted 5 days in advance in the San Mateo County Human Resources Department.Apply immediately. This recruitment is open on a continuous basis and selections may be made at any time within the process.At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.HR Contact: Carolyn Burns (060319) (Medical Surgical Nurse-F031)