Kitsap County Public WorksDepartmentisdedicated tomakingour communities better and safer places to live, work, and play.
Our mission is to provide the citizens of Kitsap County with quality service in the planning, maintenance and operations of public works facilities. We are committed to delivering these services in a courteous, expedient, and professional manner.ThePublic WorksEngineering Divisionis looking for Engineers thatare interestedin Contract Specification and/orDesigntojoin our team!Engineer 1 -Design and/or Contract Specifications
Performs professional office and field civil engineering activities requiring the application of basic engineering principles and methods for the design of Public Works road, bridge, culvert and other transportation projects. Duties involve technical and complex work in researching, designing, drafting, estimating, preparing specifications, final contract documents applying basic engineering principles and methods and performing senior level technical computer aided design and drafting (CADD) for assigned County projects. May lead the work of lower level technical staff. Working knowledge with AutoCAD, Civil 3D, and with Microsoft Word and Excel software applications required. Knowledge of codes, policies and procedures as they relate to construction contract administration and public project bidding, principles and practices and project construction is a plus.QUALIFICATIONS FOR PERFORMANCE OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONSRequired Education and Experience for all Positions
- Registered as an Engineer in Training (EIT)*; or
- Bachelor's Degree in Related Engineering** field; or
- Equivalent four years related engineering* experience working under the direct supervision of a licensed Professional Engineer (PE).
- Experience usingAutoCAD, Civil 3D and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Experience with WWHM Windows and Western Washington Hydrology Model software program.
- Experience working with codes, policies and procedures as they relate to construction contract administration and public project bidding, principles and practices and project construction methods.
**"Engineering" means the "practice of engineering" as defined in RCW 18.43.020.Note: Qualifications for this position must be met; no other equivalencies will be accepted.
Kitsap County requires verification of education, certification and/or experience. The following information is required to meet the minimum qualifications for this position:
- Certification: A copy of the Engineer in Training Certificate; OR
- Education: Official transcripts from an ABET Accredited School of Engineering; OR
- Experience : Complete a verification form and submit it during the application process. The form includes verification of work performed under the direct supervision of a Professional Engineer, Professional Engineersignature and PE stamp/seal or a copy of their current license; OR
- Combination of Education and Experience: Official Transcripts from an ABET Accredited Schooland complete a verification form and submit it during the application process. The form includes verification of the work performed under the direct supervision of the Professional Engineer, Professional Engineer and PE stamp/seal or a copy of their current license.
The successful incumbent must meet the driving requirements of this position and submit a copy a current driving record/abstract (from state of residency) to review for eligibility to drive for Kitsap County prior to employment. The successful incumbent must obtain a valid Washington State Driver's License prior to hire and maintain a satisfactory driving record as outlined in the Kitsap County Vehicle Use Policy. This position is categorized as aCategory 1
Driver and operates County-owned vehicle. Criminal Conviction Standards:
The successful incumbent will or may have unsupervised access to children under 18 years of age, a vulnerable adult, or a vulnerable person, or access to a secured/confidential facility or computer system(s). As a result, Kitsap County will be conducting an extensive criminal background check by law enforcement agencies, which may include fingerprinting.
Required Licenses, Certificates, Examinations/Tests and Other Requirements
- Please review the following list of disqualifying crimes and negative actions to determine if you meet our standard for this position: https://www.dshs.wa.gov/sites/default/files/FSA/bccu/documents/Secretary%27sCrimesListforALLPrograms.pdf
The incumbent is responsible for obtaining and maintaining all the following required licenses, certifications and other requirements. Prior to employment, the successful candidate must:
Required Working Conditions / Physical Activities
- Submit official transcripts from an accredited college or university or business school, if education is being used to meet the minimum qualifications.
- Pass all job-related examinations/tests necessary to demonstrate required knowledge, skills and abilities, as determined by the hiring authority at time of job posting.
(The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Kitsap County provides reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
OTHER POSITION RELATED INFORMATION
- Exposure to a variety of weather conditions while driving or conducting field work.
- Exposure to physical hazards from traffic, field site environment and construction equipment.
- Requires lifting/carrying/pushing/pulling various survey,inspection and testing equipment and materials up to 50 pounds (to 10% of time).
- Requires bending/stooping/climbing/twisting while traversing rough, undeveloped terrain or construction sites or while conducting inspections and surveys.
- Requires reaching, sitting, standing, mobility, and grasping; talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
Positions in the classification are :
FIRST REVIEW IS SCHEDULED FOR THE WEEK OF NOVEMBER 11, 2019!
- Who May Apply: These positionsare open to the general public. Applications will be screened for qualifications and completion of all the required materials and forms. The most competitive applicants may be contacted for further steps in the selection process, which may include testing for office and computer skills.
- This position is classified as eligible for overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Non-represented and covered under the Kitsap County Personnel Manual.
- Kitsap County is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please contact our Human Resources Office.
- Flexible workhours are available, as approved by management.
- This posting may be used to fill future full time and part time openings.