The PositionThis is a continuous filing exam with Bi-annual cut-offs on the second Wednesday of July and January. The next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:7/11/2018, 1/7/2019, 7/10/2019, 1/8/2020
Under general supervision, leads, plans, schedules and oversees the work of Coroner Technicians while performing the same and/or more complex duties of those being led. These duties include assisting forensic pathologists to prepare bodies of deceased persons for autopsy examination and final disposition; receiving, identifying, and releasing bodies; and performing a variety of related clerical work and morgue services functions. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge of
- Principles of lead work.
- Customer service principles and techniques.
- Human anatomy and physiology as applied to conducting autopsies.
- Medical terminology.
- Chain of evidence techniques.
- Purpose and objectives of a coroner's office.
- Universal safety precautions and aseptic techniques.
- Techniques involved in handling and preparing bodies for autopsy examination.
- Methods and procedures for care of surgical instruments and autopsy equipment.
- Radiographic techniques, operations, film processing and development; maintenance of radiographic equipment.
- Principles of photography.
- Modern office technology and equipment.
Employment QualificationsMinimum QualificationsEither:
- Complete complex and varied tasks required to assist a pathologist in an autopsy exam.
- Perform technical procedures requiring exacting skills.
- Perform radiographic techniques, methods, and operation; maintain radiographic equipment and develop film.
- Photograph bodies.
- Make independent decisions to evaluate and implement changes to work methods and procedures.
- Handle death in a mature and respectful manner.
- Tolerate unpleasant aspects associated with traumatic death, bodies of deceased persons in various stages of decomposition, odors, and larva.
- Maintain accurate records; perform routine clerical work and data entry.
- Work with law enforcement staff on high profile cases.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Work with the public under highly emotional and stressful situations.
- Present a demeanor of dignity and sensitivity when interacting with distraught persons and grieving family members.
- Interact with people of various cultural, ethnic, and religious backgrounds.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Two years of full-time paid experience employed by the County of Sacramento in the class of Coroner Technician.OR:
Three years of full-time paid journey level experience assisting pathologists in performing autopsies using a variety of techniques to prepare specimens and/or evidence.Note:
The word "experience" referenced in the minimum qualifications means full-time paid experience unless the job announcement states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.General Qualifications
Criminal History and Background Checks :
The County may access criminal history information on candidates who have accepted a conditional offer of appointment for the above class consistent with the provisions of Board of Supervisors Resolution No. 82-602, Personnel Policies and Procedures B-5 and applicable federal and state law. The County shall not consider for employment any candidate who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor that relates to or impacts the candidate's ability to perform the job duties of this class unless it is determined that mitigating circumstances exist. For purposes of accessing criminal history information, the candidate will be fingerprinted. A subsequent arrest notification may be obtained.
The County may also conduct a background check on the candidate prior to appointment to a position within this class. The background check may include personal and professional reference checks, credit history checks, Social Security Number verification, professional license/registration verification, military service information and driving history. Information obtained in the course of this background check will be considered by the appointing authority in the selection process. In obtaining such information, the County will comply with applicable consent and disclosure practices in the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the California Investigative Consumer Reporting Agencies Act.
License Requirements :
A valid California Driver License, Class C or higher, is required at the time of appointment. Failure to obtain or maintain the appropriate valid California Driver License constitutes cause for personnel action in accordance with Civil Service Rules or applicable bargaining agreement. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Positions in this class require the incumbent to be able to:
- Lift and move bodies weighing up to 150 pounds with assistance.
- Assist with carrying dead bodies up and down stairs and steep levees, and in confined areas.
- Stand for long periods of time.
- Engage in continuous active work requiring moderate physical exertion and manual dexterity in handling bodies and equipment.
- Constantly hold, reach, grasp, write, and perform repetitive motion.
- Use an air-purifying respirator required by OSHA.
Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Positions in this class require the incumbent to be able to:
- Collect specimens of human fluids and wastes including blood, urine, and organ tissue from deceased bodies and may encounter specimens containing communicable disease.
- Work in the presence of biological/chemical agents and fumes.
- Work irregular shifts (swing and graveyard), weekends, and holidays.
Other Requirement :
- Medical evaluation to determine ability to use a respirator.
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
months.Application and Testing InformationAPPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: Continuous