OVERVIEWKitsap County Public WorksDepartmentmakes ourcommunities better and safer places to live, work, and play.
The Public Works Department is seeking a dynamic leader to manage the retrofit, operations and asset management programs for the Stormwater Division! The ideal candidate will have proven leadership ability over large groups of professional, technical and trades personnel.Position Overview
This position performs a variety of advanced professional assignments in the Kitsap County Public Works Stormwater Division. This position supervises the Operations and Maintenance (O&M) Program, Stormwater Asset Management Program, Stormwater Retrofit and Repair (R&R) Program, and Storm water Facility Inspection Program. This position also manages consultant contracts for capital and retrofit design and construction projects. The primary responsibility for all Stormwater Division assets in accordance with National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Municipal Stormwater Permit regulatory requirements. This position is also the primary liaison between the Stormwater Division and Road Engineering and Road Operations Divisions of Public Works.QUALIFICATIONS FOR PERFORMANCE OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONSRequired Education and Experience
Preferred Education, Experience or Other Qualifications
- Bachelors Degree inCivil/Environmental Engineering or related field; and
- Five years of progressivelyresponsible technical civil engineering;with attwo years in the area of specialization involving construction management, engineering management, contract administration, communications and engineering design review; and
- Two years of supervisory experience over large work groups that include professional, technical and trades personnel; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and education that provides the applicant with the desired knowledge, skills and ability required to perform the work.
- Experience performing operations and management tasks including asset management.
- Experience withArcGIS and asset management administration(CarteGraph is used at Kitsap County; candidates with this expertise will be highly desired).
- WA Professional Engineer's License
- Experience working with municipal and state codes, policies, procedures and regulations related to Stormwater management.
- Experience with NPDES Municipal permit requirements.
- Experience with Stormwater System Operation and Maintenance (O&M).
- Experience in low impact development/green Stormwater infrastructure design and O&M.
Criminal Conviction Standards:
- The successful incumbent must meet the driving requirements of this position and submit a copy a current driving record/abstract (from state of residency) to review for eligibility to drive for Kitsap County prior to employment.The successful incumbent must obtain a valid Washington State Driver's License prior to hire and maintain a satisfactory driving record as outlined in the Kitsap County Vehicle Use Policy. This position is categorized as:
- Category 1 Driver: operates County-owned vehicle, and
- Category 2: Drivermayoperate a personal vehicle as an essential function for official County business. Any employee using a personal vehicle on official County business shall be required to maintain auto liability insurance, in addition to having a valid driver's license.
Required Licenses, Certificates, Examinations/Tests and Other Requirements
- The successful incumbent will or may have unsupervised access to children under 18 years of age, a vulnerable adult, or a vulnerable person, or access to a secured/confidential facility or computer system(s). As a result, Kitsap County will be conducting an extensive criminal background check by law enforcement agencies, which may include fingerprinting.
- Please review the following list of disqualifying crimes and negative actions to determine if you meet our standard for this position: https://www.dshs.wa.gov/sites/default/files/FSA/bccu/documents/Secretary%27sCrimesListforALLPrograms.pdf
Please note: The incumbent is responsible for obtaining and maintaining all of the following required licenses, certifications and other requirements.
Prior to employment, the successful candidate must:
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Submit official transcripts from an accredited college or university or business school, if education is being used to meet the minimum qualifications.
- Pass all job-related examinations/tests necessary to demonstrate required knowledge, skills and abilities, as determined by the hiring authority at time of job posting.
- Pass a criminal history background check through law enforcement agencies.
- Submit a copy of their State employment driving record abstract to verify their eligibility to drive for Kitsap County.
Working Conditions/Physical Activities
- Knowledge of: Stormwater Asset Management; Engineering Design and Plan Review, NPDES; Permit Regulatory Requirements; Geographic Information Systems (GIS); Stormwater System Operations and Maintenance; Green Stormwater Infrastructure (LID), and Environmental Policy related to NPDES Permits and Stormwater Management.
- Skilled in: Leadership, Supervision, and Personnel Management; Project and Program Management; Public Speaking and Presentations, Grant Application, Writing andManagement; and Basic Statistical Data Analysis.
- Abilities to: Perform the essential functions of the position; Plan, organize, supervise and evaluate the work of assigned staff;Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other staff, consultants, the general public, partner agencies and other local, state and federal agencies;Develop scopes of work and track for each program topic; Assist in developing long range plans and objectives for assigned area; Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;Make informed decisions, upon consultation with management, on policies and procedures; Apply judgment and discretion in resolving problems and interpreting policies and regulations; and Physically perform assigned duties and essential functions of the position.
(The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Kitsap County provides reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
Positions in this class typically require:
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
- Primarily works in an office environment, with routine field inspections/activities.
- Position may require: walking and balancing (short or long distances), bending, stooping, twisting, reaching above and/or below shoulder, handling/grasping documents, Sitting and/or standing for short or extended periods of time, clear speaking and adequate hearing sufficient to communicate effectively and respond appropriately in-person and/or on the telephone; sufficient hearing and vision, repetitive motions for computeruse
- Requires exertion of force of25 pounds occasionally, 10 pounds frequently, to lift/carry/move objects, files/documents, and other materials as required.
OTHER POSITION RELATED INFORMATION
- Manage assigned operations to achieve goals within budgeted funds and available personnel.
- Coordinate assigned activities within the KCPW Stormwater Division and with other Public Works Divisions, County departments, other agencies or organizations.
- Prepare andmanage budget for assigned area based on staffing and resource requirements, cost estimates, division objectives and departmental goals.
- Monitor and document expenditures for assigned area, assuring compliance with approved budget and applicable requirements.
- Supervise assigned staff, including setting work priorities, planning, organizing, assigning, advising, assisting, motivating and training as necessary. Establish work rules and performance standards and evaluate the work of assigned staff and participate in the selection of new employees, including making recommendations regarding hiring, discipline, transfer and termination. Provide for the training and motivation of subordinates in order to make full use of individual capabilities and to meet changing system demands.
- Assists in the development and implementation of the Stormwater capital facilities plan and the Stormwater asset management plan, to include scheduling and prioritization of projects. Coordinate with other divisions,departments, and external stakeholders.
- Ensure all assigned Stormwater Division vehicles and equipment are maintained in proper and safe working condition. Coordinates vehicle replacement.
- Oversight of Stormwater System Operations and Maintenance Program including compliance with NPDES Permit requirements, program records,program evaluation and documentation.
- Direct the resolution of inquiries, problems, complaints, or emergencies affecting availability or quality of services related to KCPW Stormwater systems.
- Oversight of Stormwater System Retrofit and Repair Program. Coordinate complex construction projects that may be completed by Stormwater Crews or private contractors.
- Prepare construction budgetsandcontract documents, scheduling meetings, safety meetings, pre-construction reviews of plans, and oversee construction in progress to ensure compliance withstandards and plans.
NEXT REVIEW IS SCHEDULED FOR THE WEEK OF JANUARY 27, 2020!
- Who May Apply: This position is open to the general public. Applications will be screened for qualifications and completion of all the required materials and forms. The most competitive applicants may be contacted for further steps in the selection process, which may include testing for office and computer skills.
- This position is classified as exempt from overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- This position is non-represented and covered under the Kitsap County Personnel Manual. Internal applicants should be aware that a change in union status or bargaining unit may impact your benefits and accruals. Please contact Human Resources if you have questions.
- Kitsap County is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please contact our Human Resources Office.
- This recruitment is being used to fill an existing open position, and may be used to fill future openings for up to six (6) months.
- Flexible hours are available, as approved by management.