Dean, College of Health and Human Services (Admin. IV)
The Dean is part of the Provost's Academic Affairs Leadership Team and serves as the chief academic and administrative officer and spokesperson of the College of Health and Human Services in support of student success, academic excellence, community success, and inclusivity. The primary responsibilities of the Dean are to provide leadership and manage the programs and activities of the College as one of the academic units of California State University, Sacramento. To this end, the Dean facilitates and supports faculty development and productivity in teaching, scholarly and creative activities, and service to the institution and the community; represents the college and assists in partnerships with regional school districts and education initiatives; coordinates and supports the development and evaluation of instructional program offerings and student support systems; and assists departments and centers of the College in accreditation efforts. The Dean's leadership and management responsibility includes fostering an ever more inclusive learning and working environment in the College and implementing proactive programs and initiatives in support thereof. The Dean has primary responsibility for external funds development, gifts, grants, and contracts that support the breadth of activities of the College, and provides leadership in building strong relationships with, and generating support in, the greater community for the benefit of the College and University. The Dean also oversees development of annual budget requests and administers the College's budget. The Dean is responsible for personnel matters, including coordinating and supervising the administrative duties of department chairs, staff and program directors, and for making independent recommendations on all College appointment, retention, tenure, and promotion requests. The Dean is responsible for implementation of the University's Academic and Strategic Plans in the College.
The Dean is supported by two Associate Deans and staff in the Dean's Office. The Dean works in partnership with all other units on campus to fulfill the mission of the University. The Dean provides a communication link between other campus administrators and the College's department chairs and program directors, and coordinates long-range planning for the College. The Dean serves as an advocate for the diverse needs of the College in support of the mission of the University, particularly at the University and CSU System-wide levels. The Dean is a University administrative officer and performs these and other duties as assigned by the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs and the President.
MPP - This position is defined in the Management Personnel Plan (MPP) of the California State University. It is excluded from the collective bargaining process and is exempt from overtime provisions of FLSA. This position is covered by health benefits.
Classification Salary Range
$9,167 - $27,500 monthly
$9,167 - $27,500 monthly
Is this position Hourly or Intermittent?
Regular or Temporary
Full Time or Part Time
Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm; other hours as required
The College of Health & Human Services strives to be an innovative center of excellence for educating future health and human service leaders in diverse communities.
The college provides quality academic programs that educate and empower students, serve and enrich diverse communities, promote well-being, and inform policy and best practices.
Education and Experience:
1. Possession of an earned doctorate and eligibility for a senior faculty appointment within the College of Health & Human Services;
2. Five years of leadership experience in a university;
3. Successful teaching experience and record of research or scholarly activity in one or more of the disciplines in the College;
4. Experience with assessment of program learning outcomes;
5. Experience in shared faculty governance;
6. Evidence of successful personnel and fiscal resource management experience in a unionized environment.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
Demonstrated commitment to and experience with:
7. Achieving the Graduation Initiative goals
8. Facilitating forward thinking and articulating mission appropriate vision for health and human services curricula.
9. Consensus building across departments with common challenges and competing interests in order to cultivate an environment of collaboration, communicate success, and advocate for needs inside and outside the college;
10. Being a strong advocate for programs in the College within the scope of the overall mission of the University as a member of the Academic Affairs Leadership Team and in partnership with other units in the University;
11. Commitment to hiring and retaining diverse, inclusive faculty;
12. Working with a diverse faculty, staff, and student population and implementing practices to ensure a more inclusive learning and working environment;
13. Supporting excellence in teaching, scholarship and creative activities, service, and student success via the professional development of faculty and staff;
14. Developing and supporting activities that support the Anchor Institution role of the University such as community-based teaching, scholarship, and service.
15. Partnering with faculty, the Office of Research Innovation and Economic Development, and University Advancement to cultivate external support via grants, contracts, and other potential funding sources.
16. Using data to expand undergraduate and graduate research and improve student support programs.
Conditions of Employment:
- Ability to pass background check.
17. Experience with and a commitment to a Liberal Arts education;
18. Experience with and commitment to K-16 outreach, collaboration and teacher education;
19. Experience with and commitment to interdisciplinary programs and scholarship;
20. Understanding of and appreciation for the disciplines in the College.
21. Proven ability to get internships and/or clinical placements for students.
Valid driver's license and maintenance of safe driving record.
Is Background Check Required
Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position.
Candidate will be required to provide official transcripts of their highest degree earned and must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S..
Conflict of Interest
The duties of this position include participation in decisions that may have a material financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, the selected candidate will be required to file Conflict of Interest Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest when they first occupy the position, an on an annual basis, complete ethics training within 6 months of appointment, and attend this training every other year thereafter.
California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the California State University Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/index.html.
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/Information%20for%20Job%20Applicants.html.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification. For additional information, visit http://www.csus.edu/aba/police/.
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Open Until Filled
First Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
Recruitment is open until filled. Priority deadline for applications is 11:59 p.m. on Saturday, February 29, 2020.
Anticipated appointment: July 2020.
For questions regarding this search, contact:
Robert Bartley, JD, Office of Human Resources
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
1. * Do you possess an earned doctorate? •Yes
2. * Do you have (at least) five years of leadership experience in a university? •Yes
3. * Do you have successful teaching experience and a record of research or scholarly activity in one or more of the disciplines in the College? •Yes
4. * Do you have experience in shared faculty governance? •Yes
5. * Do you have successful personnel and fiscal management experience in a unionized environment? •Yes
Documents Needed To Apply
Required Documents 1.Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled