Description Note: This recruitment schedule was amended on June 2, 2020to extend the Final Filing Date. This recruitment has been changed to "Continuous."
The Aging and Adult Services (AAS) Division of San Mateo County Health has an exciting position for a Public Health Nurse
in the Multipurpose Senior Services Program (MSSP) and Partners for Independence (PFI) Program.
The Multipurpose Senior Services Program (MSSP) and the Partners for Independence (PFI) Program are two intensive case management programs in Aging and Adult Services (AAS). The programs aim to optimize the quality of life for older adults and people with disabilities with complex medical and psychosocial needs. By providing intensive case management and care coordination to this vulnerable population, we hope to prevent or reduce adverse health and psychosocial outcomes.
Under the supervision of MSSP/PFI leadership, the MSSP/PFI Public Health Nurse will provide and coordinate a variety of health services to the client; provide services and consultation to seniors and dependent adults including teaching of health practices to prevent illness and promote general health and well-being; provide health education and screening to people in community settings.
The current vacancy is in the Aging and Adult Services MSSP/PFI programs and is afull-time, permanentposition with benefits. The position is 40 hours per week from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. The work location is 801 Gateway Blvd., South San Francisco, CA 94080, and will include visiting recipients in the community and attending meetings throughout the County.
The position requires possession of a class C California driver license or the ability to provide suitable transportation (including public transportation), as approved by the appointing authority.The ideal candidate
NOTE:The eligible listgenerated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, term, unclassified,and regular classifiedvacancies.
- The passion and patience to serve the medically fragile and behaviorally challenged population.
- A keen awareness of the issues of aging, disabilities, community programming, and diverse cultural groups.
- The ability to apply cultural humility principles in the relationship with clients, where clients are experts at their own lives and have the right to self-determination.
- A minimum of two years' experience working with community organizations providing services to older adults and people with disabilities.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Exemplary verbal and written communication.
- Aproven background in building collaborative relationships in the community;
- Flexibility and ability to adjust interactions with individuals according to the needs of the situation.
- A sense of humor.
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients and their families as well as caregivers, intradepartmental, interdepartmental colleagues and community partners.
- Bilingual skills are preferred, but not required.
Examples Of Duties Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assess client's health status through history taking, observation and screening tests.
- Communicate with Primary Care Physician (PCP) or specialist regarding clients' needs and care.
- Develop care plan including goals and time frames.
- Follow up Medication adherence and reconciliation visits.
- Provide Health Education (diabetes, hypertension, etc.).
- Women's Health.
- Immunization Clinics.
- Counsel, teach, and coordinate health and social services provided to client/family.
- Inform high risk group of resources and make referrals as appropriate.
- Document services and clients response to services.
- Participate in defining and addressing community health needs through consultation, recruitment of providers and development of resources.
- Participate in developing instruction materials.
- Keep statistical records, write reports.
- Inform clients regarding medical needs and Medi-Cal.
- Link clients to medical and dental resources.
- Participate on a multidisciplinary team.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- California license as a Registered Nurse.
- California Certificate as a Public Health Nurse.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying.Knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of public health nursing, with emphasis on field and clinic activities.
- Problem solving through nursing process.
- Technical nursing procedures.
- Health and social services resources.
- Collaborative health planning with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Teach and counsel.
- Perform technical nursing procedures.
- Assess physical, psycho-social and nutritional needs.
- Assess community health needs.
- Teach and guide other health personnel and volunteers.
- Motivate people in positive health attitudes and behavior.
- Work effectively with multi-problem families.
- Problem solve.
- Make independent judgments and ability to work autonomously.
- Assume a leadership role in community health programs.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and orally.
- Be culturally sensitive.
- Be flexible to adapting to a changing environment.
- Organize communities regarding health matters.
Application/Examination Open and Promotional.Anyone may apply.
Current County of San Mateo and County of San Mateo Superior Court employees with at least six months (1040 hours) of continuous service in a classified regular, probationary, SEIU or AFSCME represented extra-help/term position prior to the final filing date will receive five points added to their final passing score on this examination.IMPORTANT
:Applications for this position will only be accepted online.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the"Apply"
button above. If you are not on the County's website, please go tohttps://jobs.smcgov.org/
to apply. Online applications must be received by the Human Resources Department before midnight on the final filing date.
Responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted in addition to our regular employment application form. A resume will not be accepted as a substitute for the required employment application and supplemental questionnaire. ~TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE~Deadline to Apply:
TBDCombined Panel/Department Interviews:
TBDAt the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs.The County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.